Last week I was making (dairy-free) chicken pot pies with puff pastry (yes, store-bought puff pastry is usually dairy free!) and had about a half of a sheet left after I was done with the pies. It was already thawed, so I HAD to use if for something — I certainly won’t let perfectly delicious puff pastry go to waste!
So I invented a desert on a whim and here is what I came up with. Oh, goodness, it was delicious! Sadly, there were only 6 of them — next time I may have to make a whole batch!
Banana Chocolate Almond Puff Pastry Bites (Dairy-Free!)
- Puff pastry, rolled thin (1/8 inch?) and cut into 2-3″ squares
- sliced banana
- chocolate chips (ours are of course dairy-free!)
- brown sugar
- almond butter
- whisked egg wash (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 425 (F)
- Cut pastry into squares (mine were 2-3 inches)
- Spread a dollop (1 teaspoon?) almond butter in the middle of each square of dough.
- Add 1-2 slices of banana
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon (ish) of brown sugar
- Gather the edges of the pastry and pinch together into a “purse” or sort of lengthwise similar to a potsticker
- Arrange on a baking tray
- Brush with egg if desired
- Bake at 425 (f) for 15 minutes, or until golden brown (check often!)
- Devour. Ideally warm. For desert, breakfast, snack, anytime. With tea (or ice cream!), or without. They reheat well in the toaster oven! Yum!